Breathing Stick Activityby Kaajal Laungani
The first time I learned about breathing sticks was a couple of weeks ago when my son began demonstrating how to use one on his finger during dinner. I was blown away by his enthusiasm and the fact that he was teaching US how to breathe! So when we realized that we'd be hunkering down at home for the next few weeks, I loaded up on crafty items including pipe cleaners and beads so he could do a little tutorial for us on how to make our very own breathing sticks. And of course, how to use them to practice our breathwork.
What you'll need:
- 1 pipe cleaner per person
- 5 - 6 beads per person
- Knot, twist or curl one end of the pipe cleaner so that the beads don't fall off.
- Let your creativity flow and string beads of your choosing through the pipe cleaner.
- Leave a couple of inches so that you can slide the beads and knot, twist or curl the other end of the pipe cleaner.
How it works:
- Begin with all beads on one side of the pipe cleaner.
- Inhale and slowly exhale as you slide the bead down the pipe cleaner. Try to match the movement to your breath. *For an additional challenge, slowly inhale as you slide one bead and exhale slowly as you slide the next bead.
- Repeat until all the beads have been moved to the other side of the pipe cleaner. Then go the other way.
Let us know what you think!